Ze Ace's Tech Spot

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Map of top 100 technology companies in the world

Have you ever wondered where most technology companies are? I did. I've seen maps of the biggest 10, or the biggest 10 in silicon valley, but I wanted a bigger overview. I also was looking for something fun to do with the Google maps API so I put something together:

Map of largest 100 technology companies by market capitalization

I got the market cap and address information from Google finance sites. I wrote a quick program to run through the pages and grab the info. Alas there was a lot of manual scrubbing to clean it up, but it's done now.

It appears that about a third of the companies are based in Silicon Valley, although of course all of the companies have some presence here. The majority of the companies are US based which is also interesting. Each dot also shows the map cap (in $'000) and the rank. Poor lonely MS is number 1, but it's over 1000 miles from the next closest mega-tech-company.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy.

6 Comments:

  • Sweet... now make one that shows me which ones to invest in. ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/08/2006 8:08 PM  

  • Honey if I'm a hippie, then you are a geek!

    By Blogger TweedleDea, at 11/10/2006 5:56 PM  

  • Have you not read "Writing secure code" lately :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/12/2006 10:20 AM  

  • That last comment implies someone actually read my code. WOW! I was leaving it there more as a test to see if Google Code would index it. As to how terribly it is written, it is fully intended to be one-off code. I don't check any buffer lengths or verify any parameters. Why? Because I could manually look at every page this code was supposed to parse and see that there was nothing unusual. And if it had failed? Well I would have fixed it. A lot of programmers don't think about the level of effort they should put into their code. The results are either bad code all the time, or in the case of "anonymous", putting far too much effort into making throwaway code into beautiful object-oriented safe cocoons of reusability. I do write extremely object oriented, secure, and fast code when it is required. But I'll let any and all of those qualities go when the code doesn't need them.

    Maybe I should turn this rant into a post... hmm...

    By Blogger Ze Ace, at 11/17/2006 7:11 PM  

  • No IBM on the map? Really?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/17/2006 10:39 PM  

  • IBM is apparently a business services company and not a technology company at all. From my experience that's more true than not.

    By Blogger Ze Ace, at 2/27/2007 1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home